April 12 @ 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
***CANCELLED*** Hike Hunt’s Mills
For over 250 years, Hunt’s Mills has served many purposes. It is probably one of the more historically significant sites in East Providence. In fact, this property is home to the East Providence Historical Society. The historical society is at the John Hunt House, which was built in the mid 1700’s, making it one of the oldest houses in the city. This site also has been home to several mills over time dating back to the mid 1600’s including a saw mill and a grist mill. In the late 1800’s, a local private company (Rumford Chemical Works) set up a water company here to supply their mills and factories with water. In the mid 1920’s the town would take over the water company, along with the Turner Reservoir, to supply the growing town with water until the town starting receiving its water from the Scituate Reservoir. At the turn of the century, there was an amusement park here to help offset the cost of running the water company. And lastly, the East Providence fire department used this property as a training grounds for several years.
The hike starts near the small parking area by the gazebo just to the right of the Hunt House. The Hunt House Museum will be open to the public on this day.
Hunt’s Mills Hike guided by Ernie Germani in partnership with East Providence Conservation Commission and the BHC Trail Ambassadors.
Please wear proper foot wear. It is helpful to bring water, sunscreen, and bug spray.
All guided hikes start at 1:30 PM
- 65 Hunts Mills Road, East Providence, RI
- Trailhead: 41°49’41.78″N, 71°20’45.16″W
- Approximate distance hiked: 0.75 miles