Exploring the Blackstone River Valley
Auburn | Blackstone | Burrillville | Central Falls | Cumberland | Douglas | East Providence | Glocester | Grafton | Hopedale | Leicester | Lincoln | Mendon | Millbury | Millville | North Smithfield | Northbridge | Pawtucket | Providence | Smithfield | Sutton | Upton | Uxbridge | Woonsocket | Worcester
Includes the villages of Ashton, Albion, Lonsdale and Valley Falls
Settled in 1635, Incorporated as a town in 1730 and as a city in 1895
- The Nine Men’s Misery is the oldest Veteran’s Memorials in the country and located at the current location of the Cumberland Library. During King Phillip’s War, 9 Colonial soldiers were held prisoner by the Narragansett warriors and killed at this site.
- In 1953 Martin Chased opened Ann & Hope, America’s first discount department store.
- William Blackstone was the first European to settle and live in Cumberland
- Town was named in honor of Prince William, Duke of Cumberland
- The first power looms were manufactured here
- In 2014 the Cumberland American Little League team won the New England Regional Little League Baseball Championship and went to the Little League World Series