Exploring the Blackstone River Valley
Auburn | Blackstone | Burrillville | Central Falls | Cumberland | Douglas | East Providence | Glocester | Grafton | Hopedale | Leicester | Lincoln | Mendon | Millbury | Millville | North Smithfield | Northbridge | Pawtucket | Providence | Smithfield | Sutton | Upton | Uxbridge | Woonsocket | Worcester
Settled in 1662, Incorporated in 1727
- In the 18th century, Uxbridge resident Lydia Chapin Taft was the first woman in America ever to be granted the right to vote.
- Dr. Samuel Ward established the United States’ first hospital for mental illness in Uxbridge around 1770
- Uxbridge has a strong Quaker background and roots to the Underground Railroad, the abolitionist movement and women’s rights
- The first Air Force dress uniform was manufactured here, known as the “Uxbridge Blue”
- President William Howard Taft’s family was from Uxbridge