Exploring the Blackstone River Valley
Auburn | Blackstone | Burrillville | Central Falls | Cumberland | Douglas | East Providence | Glocester | Grafton | Hopedale | Leicester | Lincoln | Mendon | Millbury | Millville | North Smithfield | Northbridge | Pawtucket | Providence | Smithfield | Sutton | Upton | Uxbridge | Woonsocket | Worcester
Incorporated as a town in 1730 and as a city in 1895
- Although Central Falls is the smallest city in Rhode Island, just one square mile, it is the most densely populated
- Was originally home to the Nipmuc, Wampanoag, and Narraganset Native Tribes
- In 1676, during King Phillip’s War, the Narragansett warriors ambushed Colonial troops in the area of Central Falls and killed them.
- For a time, Central Falls was knows as Chocolateville
- Quakers made up the majority of the first European settlers, later immigrants from Ireland, Scotland and Canada started to arrive.
- The Oscar-winning actress Viola Davis was raised in Central Falls.