Exploring the Blackstone River Valley
Auburn | Blackstone | Burrillville | Central Falls | Cumberland | Douglas | East Providence | Glocester | Grafton | Hopedale | Leicester | Lincoln | Mendon | Millbury | Millville | North Smithfield | Northbridge | Pawtucket | Providence | Smithfield | Sutton | Upton | Uxbridge | Woonsocket | Worcester
Includes the villages of Hopedale Village and White City
Settled in 1660, Incorporated in 1886
- In 1842 Adin Ballou established the Fraternal Community Number One, a social experiment with people whose beliefs included temperance, abolition and women’s rights.
- Draper Brothers took over Ballou’s property and developed 400 patents for textile machinery.
- The Draper family created a community for their employees, including low-rent housing and donations of the High School and a playground.
- Hometown of Joe Perry from Aerosmith
- Bancroft Memorial Library was donated to the town by Joseph Bancroft in memory of his wife Sylvia
- Benjamin Albee set up a grist mill to grind corn in 1669 in this first recorded settlement