BRV-Icon2

Exploring the Blackstone River Valley

Grafton

Includes the Villages of Grafton Center, New England Village, Farnumsville, Fisherville, Centerville and Saundersville

Settled 1718, Incorporated 1735

  • Originally inhabited by the Nipmuc Tribe
  • The Hassanamisco Reservation is a State-recognized Reservation, still used today
  • First White Settler was Reverend John Elliot, who preached Christianity to the Nipmucs
  • The Bandstand in the Town Common was built in 1934-1935 for the movie, “Ah, Wilderness!”
  • Home of the Willard House & Clock Museum
  • America’s first Valentine’s Cards are manufactured by the New England Valentine Co. in 1879; a collaboration between Jotham Woods Taft and Esther Howland.
  • Earl Tupper first produced Tupperware at his factory in 1938.

Resource Links

Grafton Town Hall

List of Historical Cemeteries in Grafton

Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce

Grafton Public Library

List of Historical Cemeteries in Massachusetts

Grafton Walking Tour

Grafton Historical Society

Willard House and Clock Museum

Leave a Comment